Reginald Black

Feb 20, 2017

I can\'t say enough about Kathleen Gingrich. I needed her services at a very difficult time in my life. She was always available and really listened to me and ...

Deb Hoffert

Feb 08, 2017

I can not say enough great things about this law firm. Everyone is extremely knowledgeable, professional and above all else very friendly. I have never had an issue personally or ...

John Arena

Feb 01, 2017

Peter Russo and the staff at his firm have handled my personal and professional business for almost a decade. His office is extremely professional and efficient. They never forget that ...

rick scott

Feb 01, 2017

Peter was easy to work with and handled my case first class. He was knowledgeable about my case (possible age discrimination) and gave me options on what I could do. ...

Jenn Spears Brenize

Feb 01, 2017

Peter is extremely knowledgeable and aggressive, yet even-tempered. He is professional, diligent, and compassionate, and responsive to his clients\' needs. I never hesitate to send him a referral as ...

Robert Davis

Jul 25, 2018

WERE BACK !! First and foremost Peter has a sense of humor. Peter was efficient and effective and on point when it came to the time line of events. Very important ...

Angela Reighard

Jun 26, 2018

Kara Haggerty was an amazing attorney. She handled my highly toxic divorce with aplomb, carefully and skillfully. Megan was also very helpful. Highly recommend!!

Bob Levin

May 11, 2018

I have been working with Peter for last 3 years and the experience has been worthwhile. He is a man of his word and I would highly recommend him.

Beth Sizer

Mar 22, 2018

I am a grandmother who just wants to be involved with her only grandson\'s life in every way, watch him grow and always be there for him and just ...


Jan 10, 2018

Peter is an excellent attorney! He is caring and effective in his representations.

Review By:

The law in Pennsylvania says that if a woman becomes pregnant through sexual assault or rape and chooses to keep the child, she can also apply to terminate her rapist’s parental rights over the child. In essence, what this means is that she can be granted sole custody of the child and prevent the rapist from ever seeing the child. For most people in the state, this law makes sense, as a woman should not have to continuously see the man who raped her.

The law came with a price, however, a literal one. If a woman were to exercise her right to terminate her child’s father’s rights, she could not also receive child support from him. For most women, this would be a difficult choice to make.

Pennsylvania legislators are hoping to close that loophole, however. A bill has been proposed that would require rapists to continue to pay child support, but would still allow mothers to deny them access to the children they fathered. The bill has moved out of the House Judiciary Committee and joined another bill as an amendment and will appear before the whole House.

This is just one of the multitude of complexities regarding child support and custody. Many of us think of it as a relatively straight-forward, cut-and-dry process, but each individual case is unique. This also means that it is particularly difficult to find standard advice on what to do when asserting one’s rights to child custody or support. What it typically means is that it is often best to work with a family law attorney.

Source: The Express-Times, “Pennsylvania bill regarding rapist’s parental rights, child support moves forward,” Colin McEvoy, June 11, 2014