Reginald Black

Feb 20, 2017

I can\'t say enough about Kathleen Gingrich. I needed her services at a very difficult time in my life. ...

Deb Hoffert

Feb 08, 2017

I can not say enough great things about this law firm. Everyone is extremely knowledgeable, professional and above all else ...

John Arena

Feb 01, 2017

Peter Russo and the staff at his firm have handled my personal and professional business for almost a decade. His ...

rick scott

Feb 01, 2017

Peter was easy to work with and handled my case first class. He was knowledgeable about my case (possible age ...

Jenn Spears Brenize

Feb 01, 2017

Peter is extremely knowledgeable and aggressive, yet even-tempered. He is professional, diligent, and compassionate, and responsive to his clients\' ...

Kirk Allison

May 05, 2020

Peter was very helpful. Although he was extremely busy preparing for another, probably more serious case, he took time out ...

Nathan Lyons

Sep 30, 2019

Peter and Ashley were amazing to deal with. They were always quick to respond to any questions I had and ...


Apr 04, 2019


Lori Keim

Apr 03, 2019

Taking care of necessary family law issues is not fun; but Peter and his staff made it as painless as ...


Apr 03, 2019

Pete’s office did a fantastic job on my settlement, they made the process very smooth, and ensured I understood ...

Review By:

Does It Make Sense To Take A Break From Your Marriage?

Does It Make Sense To Take A Break From Your Marriage?

No two marriages are exactly the same. It therefore stands to reason that no two married couples navigate the challenges of their unions in the exact same ways. If your marriage has become unhealthy or unhappy, you may be contemplating the option of filing for divorce. But if you remain unsure of whether or not divorce is the healthiest option for you and your family, it may make sense to either separate informally or file for a legal separation until you and your spouse can determine which path forward is the healthiest.

The primary difference between an informal separation and a legal separation is that legal separations are recognized by the courts. When you file for a legal separation, you may address matters of property division, spousal support, child support and child custody in ways that are legally enforceable. Should you opt for an informal separation, none of the arrangements you make will be legally enforceable for certain.

For some couples, separation makes sense. This step allows each spouse space and time to evaluate options for the future without having to navigate the pressures of the other spouse’s consistent presence. Some couples can successfully pursue informal separations while others need or desire the protections that a legal separation affords.

If you have questions about separation, do not hesitate to speak with an experienced family law attorney in your area. Meeting with an attorney will not commit you to any course of action, but it will ensure that the choice you make is an informed one.

Source: The Huffington Post, “Does Taking a Break From Your Relationship Postpone the Inevitable?” Terry Gaspard, April 3, 2015

Does It Make Sense To Take A Break From Your Marriage?

Quick Case Evaluation Form